Who doesn’t love a good mac ‘n’ cheese classic, especially when it is bacon macaroni cheese? It is so comforting and deceivingly easy to make. It does require a few more steps than some of my other dinner recipes, but I promise it is worth the time. Plus, this is ideal for meal prep. We actually make this bake ready for a working week (plus an extra meal for the day it is made too). This is a winner for a fuss-free re-heating at work. Well, assuming you have access to a microwave or oven.
It was so hard to decide whether to publish this recipe or not. Bacon macaroni cheese is such a renowned dish and there are so many variations out there. Everyone seems to have their own recipe for it! However, I really do feel this one just takes the edge for ones I’ve tried. I think it is the incorporation of the bacon, toasted bread and cream cheese mix which really hits the spot for me. A little different from others I’ve tried.
If there is one food my partner could consume daily, it is this. That is what spurred me on to try creating my own recipe for it. One that is suited for us – gluten AND dairy-free, of course! Especially with the use of ZenB pea protein pasta. We love the stuff in this house!
I find that dairy-free cheese really isn’t the same as normal and so I expected mac ‘n’ cheese to be a more difficult recipe to adapt. I was so surprised – just a few minor tweaks and it just works. You’d never know it was GF/DF unless told. Maybe one to test out on friends/family and see if they notice? You can also easily make this vegan by omitting the bacon. I personally adore bacon in my pasta dishes – but this would be great without too.
What are you waiting for? You should definitely pop this on your meal prep list ASAP. I am sure it won’t disappoint. Not only this, but meal prepping can help feed your family on a budget. Who can say they’ve really had a bad pasta dish anyway, huh? That and cheese solve everything.
Bacon Macaroni Cheese
- Baking dish (40 cm x 27 cm)
- Wooden Spoon
- Frying pan
- 95 grams GF bread ~3 slices
- 3 tbsp Dairy-free butter
- 500 grams GF macaroni pasta
- 4 tbsp Cornflour
- 400 ml Dairy-free milk Recommended: oat, soya or almond
- 200 ml Single cream Recommended: soya
- 300 grams Dairy-free cheese Grated
- 60 grams Cream cheese
- 15 grams Nutritional yeast Optional
- 4 strips Bacon Optional
- 1 tbsp Olive oil For frying
- Pre-heat oven to 160 °C (fan)
- Chop the bacon strips into small chunks
- Bake bread (or toast) for 5-6 minutes then set aside
- Whilst the bread is baking, boil the macaroni pasta for 5 minutes then set aside
- Heat oil in a frying pan and cook the chopped bacon completely
- In a saucepan, add the butter and melt on a low-medium heat
- Add the dairy-free milk and single cream to the saucepan and continue to heat through whilst mixing with a wooden spoon
- In a separate bowl, add the cornflour with a dash of water and whisk until there are few/no lumps
- Add the cornflour to the saucepan and begin to whisk
- Create a roux by adding in the grated cheese and cream cheese, to the saucepan, and whisk until the cheese melts to thicken the sauce and there are no lumps
- Add the macaroni, roux (sauce) and bacon to the baking dish and spread out evenly
- Add the bread to the top of the macaroni cheese by crumbling it with your fingers
- Optional: add the nutritional yeast to the top of the macaroni cheese also
- Bake for 20-22 minutes then leave to cool slightly before serving
- Substitute for cheese & cream cheese mix: 400g cheese
- Suitable for home freezing (up to 3 months)
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days
- Calories include both toppings (and optional bacon)