This vegan chocolate mousse is the most indulgent, but light and airy dessert you could have. It contains a not-so-secret ingredient which, when whipped, gives the most perfect texture. Irresistible is an understatement.
So for the ingredients, you only need two things. That’s right – it is minimal and so easy. The best part is that you’ll be able to reduce food waste with this recipe too. After making yourself a batch of my homemade hummus, make sure to keep the aquafaba from the tin. You can whip it up to make many different recipes – it is so versatile. This is my first personal recipe using it, but I definitely want to crack vegan macrons next.
All you need to do is pop the aquafaba into a bowl and whip with a whisk until stiff peaks form. This takes around 10 minutes, meaning that under-whipped mix could lead to a sloppier texture and no one wants that. For the best results, make sure to just keep going. This vegan alternative can’t actually be over-whipped in the same way egg whites can. That means, if in doubt, just keep whisking. Add in your melted chocolate, fold in, then chill. Voila – the perfect vegan dessert. One that will definitely impress guests too!
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 2 Mixing Bowls One will be used to create a Bain-Marie
- Saucepan To create a Bain-Marie
- Mixing spoon
- Whisk Hand or electric
- 4 Ramekins To serve
- 200 ml Aquafaba
- 150 grams Vegan chocolate Milk or dark
- Fresh berries To serve
- 50 grams White sugar (optional) See notes*
- Create a Bain-Marie by filling the saucepan about 1/4-1/2 full with water, placing a mixing bowl on top, and heating on a medium setting
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place in the bowl ontop of the saucepan
- Use a mixing spoon to move the chocolate around in the bowl until fully melted
- Remove the bowl containing the chocolate from the heat and place to one side to cool down slightly, but not completely
- Using a whisk, take a second mixing bowl and whip the aquafaba into stiff peaks (takes ~10 minutes)
- In small portions, add the melted chocolate to the whipped aquafaba and fold in using a spatula
- Continue adding the melted chocolate into the mix and folding in until it is completely combined
- Place the
- Best served cold
- Will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge