After a couple of imperfect batches, I feel I have finally cracked a good doughnut recipe for you. These are light and fluffy - delicious both with and without the chocolate icing too.
- Mixing Bowl
- Doughnut Tray
For the dough
- 220 Grams Self-raising flour (GF) You can use plain flour but I prefer self-raising as it gives the doughnuts a slightly airier texture. However, these may over-rise and could be uneven.
- 1/2 Tsp Xanthan gum Required if using GF flour
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 4 Tbsp Maple syrup You can substitute this for honey or sweetner if desired.
- 110 ml Milk I used almond milk but you can substitute for any plant-based alternative.
- 2 Large Eggs
- 40 Grams Vanilla yoghurt I used soya yoghurt but any yoghurt would work. Greek-style is best.
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- Butter/oil For greasing
For the decoration
- 1 Handful Crushed freeze dried raspberries Optional
- 2 Feeze-dried strawberries Optional
- 100 Grams White chocolate
- 1 Tsp Edible glitter
To make the doughnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the eggs then mix until combined
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix in fully
- Grease a doughnut tray with butter/oil
- Pour the mixture into the moulds (leaving about 1-2cm from the top of the mould to allow for any rise)
- Bake the doughnuts for 12-15 minutes (until golden)
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven and leave to cool in the tray
- Once fully cooled, remove from the tray and place onto a wire rack
To make the white chocolate topping
- Whilst the doughnuts cool on the rack, you can begin to make the topping
- Using a bain-marie, break the chocolate and melt on a medium heat until liquified (gently stirring to prevent burning)
- Whilst the chocolate is still liquid, lower the heat on the hob to a low setting (prevents solidifying)
Decorating the doughnuts
- Hold the doughnut by the bottom half and dip the top half into the chocolate (covering as desired)
- Remove the doughnut from the chocolate bowl and gently shake the doughnut to make the chocolate layer even out
- Place the doughnut on a wire rack (chocolate face up)
- Whilst the chocolate is still wet, place on the freeze-dried fruit/glitter/topping of your choice
- Leave at room temperature until fully set
Best stored in the refrigerator in an air-tight container