Absolutely massive, moreish and epic NYC-style cookies are irresistible! I always hear how amazing these cookies are from Levian bakery. Oh how I wish I could try some. I can imagine the smell now. Trust me, when I opened the oven door to these, I was so happy. The aroma was beautiful.
Would you believe me if I told you I was happy with this recipe first time?! I genuinely thought it was beginners luck, but I have managed to re-create these without fail since. I even sent another flavour to my brother to try – a white chocolate and macadamia combo – and he didn’t share! Bear in mind, I did send him FOUR boxes. I mean, I wouldn’t have likely shared either. We all know how sweet my tooth is.
My biggest tip when making these is to chill the dough. I cannot express how important this step is! If you want to a chunky cookie, the fats in the dough must be cold.
Finally, these cookies are not for the faint-heated. They are huge. We are talking about epic proportions! You could easily have one of these for a full meal. However, the goodness of these is unimaginable. You NEED to try them. They are probably the best cookie style out there. I know that is a big claim – but bake some and see for yourself.
- Mixing Bowl x2
- Mixing spoon
- Baking tray
- Greaseproof Paper
- Cling film
- Cookie/ice-cream scoop
- 115 grams Vegan butter Straight from fridge
- 110 grams Brown Sugar
- 60 grams White Caster Sugar
- 100 grams Chopped Pecans Optional but recommended
- 2 large Eggs Beaten
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 250 grams Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 275 grams Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Pinch Salt Optional
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients and then set aside
- In a second bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until it becomes thick and creamed together
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar and mix until combined
- Little by little, add in the dry ingredients to the bowl containing the butter, sugar and eggs and gently mix together
- Cover the top of the bowl with cling film and pop into the fridge for at least 4 hours (I recommend 6 hours-overnight for optimum results)
- Remove the dough from the fridge and pre-heat the oven to 180°C fan or 200°C conventional
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Using a large scoop, take equal amounts of cookie dough and pop onto the baking tray (spacing at least 2 inches apart) - I recommend only baking 4 cookies at a time in case they spread as they are very large
- Bake for 14-16 minutes (until they start to brown/turn golden)
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking tray for at least 30 minutes
- Once cooled, move to a wire rack to cool completely on the bottom
- Raw cookie dough is suitable for home-freezing
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks
- Serving suggestion: microwave for 20-30 seconds and serve with ice cream for the best result
If you’re a big cookie fan like I am, make sure to also try these peanut butter vegan cookies. The same chunky NYC style with a twist.